Posted by: D | 2011-09-14

Hi doc,

I''m breastfeeding my 9 days old daughter, yesterday there was a smell on my nipples, they look a bit reddish, moist and sometimes dry and very sore. When she sucks it hurts so much but the pain does go away after a few seconds. I''m only breastfeeding 24/7

Is this normal or could I have an infection?

You have mastitis, due to blocked milk ducts or excess milk. You will have to consult a doctor for an examination and evaluation. It is possible that you need a course of antibiotics or that you will have to use a breast pump for the excess breast milk. In the interim, you can use apply warm and cold compresses.

Posted by: krenda | 2011-09-14

Use Elizabeth''s Arden nipple soothes dry and cracked nipples from breastfeeding. Your nipples are still toughening up from your babies can also try chamomile cream. Good luck!

Reply to krenda