Question

Breastfeeding: not losing weight

I am breastfeeding my daugther and have restricted my calorie intake. I also do an hour of cardiovascular exercise, 7 days a week. I am not losing ANY weight - not even a gram!
Could it be because I' m resticting calorie intake? This is the only thing I can think of

Dear Anonymous/Charleen
Generally speaking breastfeeding combined with energy restriction and intensive exercise should cause weightloss. It is possible that your body is reacting to the energy restriction coupled with the increased demand of breastfeeding by shutting down your weightloss systems in view of perceived starvation. I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to assess your food intake. You need a diet that will still supply you and your daughter with all the nutrients you both require for good health, and enough energy to sustain the breastfeeding and exercise, but still cause gradual weightloss.