Posted by: Jenny | 2012-11-22

Breastfeeding during Pregnancy

Hi doc, I have just discovered that im pregnant and im still breastfeeding my 18month old son. is it safe to continue as there are conflicting reports, some which say it increases the risk of termination whilst others say its perfectly safe. I have no history of miscarraiges and have had normal pregnancies with my last 2 children. Im only seeing my gynae in two weeks time. Thanks.

If you feel up to it you can breastfeed in pregnancy. It is not dangerous to the pregnancy. However, nursing while pregnant won't necessarily be a walk in the park. For one thing the extra energy taken to produce milk as well as carry the pregnancy may take its toll on your body(and energy level).For another, the combination of nipple sensitivity in early pregnancy and nursing a hungry baby can be a painful one. What's more, breastfeeding triggers the release of oxytocin (the hormone that causes contractions), so don't be surprised if you feel some stronger-than-usual Braxton Hicks contractions toward the end of your pregnancy.