Question
Posted by: T | 2009/12/07

Breastfeeding and Weightloss

I gained 8kgs immediately after the birth of my twins 7 months ago. I' m breastfeeding and am constantly hungy. I do not feel full unless I include some starch (bread) in my diet. I need help in working out a sensible plan that will also help me to lose weight, also taking into account that I still want to continue breastfeeding.

Dear T
Congratulations on the birth of your twins - you must be so proud! However, breastfeeding twins is a tough job and you will feel hungry because you are feeding 2 babies. If possible, I would like to recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area).
The dietitian will work out an individual diet prescription for you and the twins to ensure that you don't gain weight and that the children receive all the nutrients they require for healthy growth and development. Because of your bigger responsibility, it would be best if you do see a dietitian.
Enjoy the babies

2

Dear T
Enjoy the babies

Posted by: katymom | 2009/12/07

I have the same problem, my son was born 4 months ago and I just keep putting on weight. I am exercising with a trainer 4 times a week, but am really struggling, I am always hungry and when I am tired I end up eating sweets because they give a kind of ' pick me up' 

Not sure where and what to cut to not effect my milk production as I want to breastfeed for at least a year.

Reply to katymom