Question
Posted by: Concern mom | 2012/05/24

breastfeeding and weight loss

I am 34years with under active thyroids, and I am still breastfeeding my 18 month son. i want to join the gym to lose weight and i need to start a diet. Is there any side effects of breastfeeding and going to the gym lossing weigh and dieting?
Will it be harder for me to lose weight because of my age? Will gyming affect my milk supply?

Please help!

Dear Concerned Mom
Congratulations on the birth of your son and that you have breastfed him for 18 months. I trust that by now he is able to eat a variety of solid foods and drink milk out of a cup? If not, please do get him used to eating solids which now need to replace mother's milk to ensure that he obtains sufficient nutrients such as iron from his diet, and to also make provision in case your milk supply is affected by a weightloss diet and/or the exercise. It is possible that changing your eating habits and doing strenuous exercise can affect your milk supply, but this is not always the case. If you use a well balanced slimming diet which contains at least 4 servings of low-fat or fat-free milk or dairy products (yoghurt, cottage cheese) per day then this should still ensure adequate milk production. Try doing exercises that use up energy without causing you stress (e.g. swimming (heated pool at the gym in this cold weather) or going for brisk walks in the fresh air with your toddler every day). Some individuals do find that it is more difficult to lose weight as they get older, but this is certainly not true for everyone. Just be patients and stick to your diet (Weigh-Less, Weight Watchers or click on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of a low-fat, high-fibre diet, or try using a low-fat, low-GI diet for which it is best to consult a registered dietitian).

1

Dear Concerned Mom