Posted by: K | 2012-11-15

breastfeeding and weight gain

Dear Doc, I have a seven month old baby and I am still breastfeeding her. I have gained 8 kilos since the birth of my baby. Which diet plan could I stick to in order to lose weight but mot effect my baby and milk supply? Could you maybe give me some references on the internet that I could read about?

Dear K
Congratulations on the birth of your baby. By breastfeeding you are giving your child the very best start in life and also preventing future problems in the baby's life such as overweight and allergies. I would recommend that you consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to provide you with a balanced energy-reduce diet that still provides all the nutrients that you need and that are essential for your baby to develop normally. Combine the diet provided by the dietitian with an exercise such as going for brisk walks with baby every day to stimulate your metabolism. In the meanwhile, click on 'Diet & Nutrition' and 'Eating throughout life' to read the articles on 'Pregnancy and Breastfeeding'.