Question
Posted by: suggie | 2011/09/07

breastfeeding and pregnancy

Hi there, I have been breastfeeding for 3 months and would love to continue for as long as possible. Since my 6 week post c-section check up I have been using the mini-pil (Microval). One evening we went to friends and I only got to drink my pil 3 hours after the normal time and another time I drank it an hour late. I still have not gotten my period but I know that breastfeeding can delay getting it. Is the contraceptive still effective if taken an hour or so late? I have thought of getting the Mirena but my husband and I want to try for our second baby in about a years time so it is not worth getting it now.

The mini-pill needes to be taken at exactly the same time in order to be effective, so you could be at risk for pregnancy. That is not to say that you will fall pregnant on every occasion that you have unprotected sex. The only way is to check a pregnancy test.

1