Posted by: Lee | 2010-03-31

breastfeeding and diet / weight loss

Hi Doc, I am currently breastfeeding my 8months old baby and want to loose weight. I am 1.58 tall and wear size 36-38. all this weight came whilst pregnant and after but before I use to weigh 59 and would love to go back to that weight again.

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Dear Lee
Congratulations on the birth of your baby. It is wonderful that you are still breastfeeding because this is the most valuable gift you can give your child for his/her future health (it even prevents future obesity!). The fact that you are breastfeeding should already help with the weightloss. It would be good if you could reduce your weight down to 59 kg again because then you would have a BMI of 23,6 which is nicely within the normal range. Reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet). Because you are breastfeeding you need to add 2 more cups of low-fat or fat-free milk or yoghurt or 1/2 cup of fat-free cottage cheese to this diet plan per day to ensure that you and baby obtain sufficient calcium (you need 1300 mg of calcium or more per day at the moment). Also try to increase your energy output by doing regular exercise. Don't to excessive, strenuous exercise, but take baby for a brisk walk every day for 30 min to stimulate your metabolism.
Enjoy your baby