Question
Posted by: Maddie | 2011-03-16

Breastfeeding?

Dear Doc
I am on the waiting list to adopt a baby and would love to breastfeed. Do you have any ideas on how I can induce this? I have had 2 children previously and a miscarriage 1 year ago (and still seem to have some colostrum since then). Do i need medication or what can you suggest? Thank you for all your help!

I hope that Purple's advice helps.

2
Posted by: PUrple | 2011-03-17

Start expressing about 5 times a day. You might need eglynol, but as you have had two pregnancies and a miscarriage you probably won''t.
Once you are producing milk, you can cut down the expressing to three times a day and once you know baby will be arriving, you can incrase up to 5 times a day again.

Try and get help from an IBCLC with this.

You might also need to purchase an SNS as you might not be able to fully supply baby''s milk needs.

Remember that there might also be latching problems as baby is likely to have been given a couple of bottles before being placed with you (though this might not be the case).

Reply to PUrple
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2011-03-17

I hope that Purple's advice helps.