Question
Posted by: Sheridan | 2008/07/07

Breast tissue removed from underarm

I've had excessive breast tissue removed from my under arm, and was wondering why, I do not have feeling in the back part of my arm. The doctor confirmed that she did not injure or cut any nerves but its been about 2mnts and I still do not have any feeling there. If I touch the skin on the outter arm, it feels as if I've been given a local anestetic. Please advise whats causing this, as I am afraid to go back to her.

Dear Sheridan
sometimes when removing tissue, some of the very thin nerves under the skin do get damaged (you can't even see them so thin are they ) They usually regrow after a few months and the sensation gradually comes back - however this can take up to 18 months. When removing tissue, damage to the sensory nerves is always a risk and sometimes unavoidable. It can be very irritating but normally is not dangerous. Give it some time?
dr Bets

1
Posted by: Sheridan | 2008/07/08

Thanks Doc! you reassured my concern. ;-)

Reply to Sheridan