Question
Posted by: X | 2011/03/24

Breast Pain, no discharge, not pregnant or breastfeeding

Dear GynaeDoc, I am a 25 year old female, I do not smoke or drink, I am on the oral contraceptive Yasmin, I am not pregnant or breastfeeding (childless). My left breast has been sensitive for the past few days, last night it became painfully sore, and now any contact (bra, shirt) is agony. There is a pink line (same shape as a vein) snaking from my nipple towards the edge of my breast and the area next to my nipple (on the dark part) has a small, hard and painful lump. I don''t have medical aid so I don''t want to rack up medical bills unless absolutely necessary - should I wait it out, have the nurse at dischem check it out, or does it sound serious? Please help! Thanks for your time.

It sounds like you should see a doctor. It could be an infection or an abscess.

1