Question
Posted by: Riekie | 2010/02/09

Breast lump in daughters breast

Hi, my daughter discovered a lump in her breast after swimming at the beach about 3 weeks ago. Dr said that it is just developmental. Her one breast is larger than the other and her areola also bigger. It is red and swollen. She was put on antibiotics. She reacted well to the antib, but her nipple that became inverted. There is still the lump. The dr sent her for an ultrasound and it showed a hypoechoic mass with irregular outlines. Dr suggested another course of antibiotics. I am worried out of my mind. The sonographer said that my daughter should go for a fine needle aspiration to rule out cancer. My daughter overheard it and now firmy believe she has cancer. Hoe does a mother react ok if someone says that? She is nearly finished wiht her current antibiotics and the lump is still there and her little nipple is still inverted. I have now decided to take her to a specialist. What should i do? Can someone please just help me? What is a hypoechoic mass? Any advise will really be appreciated.

Hallo Riekie
How old is your daughter? A red swollen mass is suggestive of an abcess or infection in a breast gland or duct. A hypoechoic mass shows up grey on the sonar and is an indication of a solid mass. I agree that you should take her to a specialist. If your daughter is very worried about having cancer, doing a fine needle aspiration would be a good idea to give her peace of mind.

2
Posted by: Riekie | 2010/02/09

Hi Dr Bets, she is only 10 years old. Can little girls get breast cancer? It feels to me like the lump is growing bigger. The second lot of antobiotics did absolutely nothing! It feels to me it is just a waste of time. I got a specialist appointment for the 3 March only. How do i explain a fine needle asp to her. Do they give her local anaestetic or what. Thank you for getting back to me.

Reply to Riekie
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010/02/09

Hallo Riekie

Reply to cyberdoc