Posted by: ann | 2011-12-23

Breast Implants

Hello Doc

I have breast implants for the last 7 - 8 years, How long do they last? Are non silicone or saline implants available in SA? I am also concerned about the Pip Implants. What is the recommendation for South Africans with these implants?. Should they be removed?

Unfortunately, you will have to consult a plastic surgeon for advice and answers. Silicone implants are mostly outdated, due to fibrotic tissue forming when they leek. Saline implants are much safer.

Posted by: Michele | 2012-01-16

I had breast implants in 2005 from Dr Fouche in Pretoria, who also practiced in Mossel Bay. I am trying to track down his records now that he has retired because I want to know if he used implants made by the French manufacturer PIP. Does anyone know how to track down his records?

Reply to Michele
Posted by: Anon | 2011-12-23

I work for a plastic surgeon and from my experience (talking about patients), they seem to start giving trouble after a couple of decades, but again these patients would have had these implants done in the 80''s and 90''s - I am not sure of the quality back then. I''ve never heard of Pip implants, based on quick research it seems that they are not a well manufactured French implants and that there have been calls for women that have them to be removed. We mainly use Nagor or Eurosilicone from Conquest. Great quality. I''d suggest contacting a plastic surgeon directly, making an appointment and discussing your concerns,