Question
Posted by: Jenna | 2008/08/06

Breast feeding and diet

I am currently expressing (up to 1 litre a day) and ALWAYS hungry. I have put on 5 Kgs since the birth of my son 12 weeks ago. I currently weigh 71kgs and am 1.75m tall. before i fell pregnant i weighed 68kgs, after his birth i weighed 66kgs.

I have a very rapid heart beat and the doc said that this is due to low iron levels ( now on supplements) I do not understand this because i eat my red meat twice a week and lean protein such as chicken and fish for the rest of the week, I have green leafy vegies very night. (he checked my thyroid levels and all is fine)

I crave very sweet things at night and have heard that this is because you do not eat sufficient carbs during the day. At the moment i eat about 8 portions of carbs a day - is this sufficient?

Please can you assist, i desparately would like to shed a few kilos!

Dear Jenna
Congratulations on the birth of your baby. At the moment your BMI = 22,9 which is practically ideal for your height, so there is no need to lose more weight right now. Breast-feeding your son is the single most important gift you can give him which will influence his future life positively and even prevent him from ever developing obesity, so don't do anything that will disrupt your milk supply. You may be feeling hungry because of your iron-deficiency anaemia. The latter may be due to the extra demands for iron during pregnancy and delivery and now that you are breastfeeding. Take your iron supplements for at least 3 months or longer as it takes a long time to replenish low iron stores in the body. From what you say your diet seems well balanced so don't change it until you stop breastfeeding. You can do some daily exercise (e.g. take baby for a walk in the fresh air) to keep your weight constant, but don't start starving yourself because this will also impact on the baby.
Relax and enjoy your baby