Question
Posted by: thabang | 2010/08/02

breast feeding

I would like to that breastfeeding while HIV.

My wife is HIV positive ,is it right for to breastfeed while she give our baby some little formula while she''s busy just a little
i want to if it could harm our baby

Dear Thabang
For women who are HIV-positive, WHO guidelines suggest 1. give suitable replacements for breastmilk, provided these are affordable for six months and can be prepared accurately and hygienically–risk of HIV infection by breastmilk is thereby eliminated; 2. where suitable replacement feeding is not possible, exclusively
breastfeed for 4 months (low risk of infecting baby with HIV) followed by formula feeds after 4 months 3. manually express and heat-treat breastmilk.
It is not advised to mix breastfeeding and formula as this increases the risk of the baby becoming HIV positive.
She can rather express milk and put it in the fridge to give to baby when she is not available.

3
Posted by: Gugu | 2010/08/03

recent studies have shown that if the mother and the child are on the right medication for prevention of HIV onto the child, then she can breast feed but this needs to be confirmed by clinic sisters.

Reply to Gugu
Posted by: kitty | 2010/08/03

As far as I know breast feeding while HIV positive can pass the virus onto your baby if your baby doesnt have HIV.

I wouldnt recommend it, if your baby doesnt have HIV.

Reply to kitty
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/08/03

Dear Thabang