Posted by: Rose | 2009-10-08

Breast Expert Question

Good Morning

Is it just me or what? I can' t tell the diffs between normal breast tissue and a lump during self examination.

I have a benign lump in my right breast and do have a mammo every 2 years with a sonar. All clear. Is this good enough?

I heard recently that mammos are not 100% accurate, only an MRI is, is this true?

Lastly (I am at that age), please tell me if there is any product, any beauty treatment or anything that can lift droopy breasts other than having a surgical breast lift. Lots if advertised and the creams I don' t believe work, but I am wondering about these high-tech beauty treatments that they say work?

Hallo Rose
Some women have more lumpy breasts than others so for some it is more difficult to detect a lump. However if you know you breasts you will soon enough realize that there is a "new" lump or one that is getting bigger or harder. Having a mammo and a sonar every 2 years is more than enough. One would only do a MR on a lump that is not clearly visible with sonar /mammo or easily accessible for a needle biopsy. MRI is too expensive to use as a screening tool.
Breasts droop due to stretching of the supporting ligaments and I don't think that anything except surgery will really help. The Non surgical techniques use injection of collagen and/or laser and eventually only postpones surgical breast lift procedures. I am not convinced that creams etc really help longterm.