Question
Posted by: Finfoo | 2011/02/17

BREAST EXAM?

I hope you will be honest if you think I''m being over-cautious. I''m 30 years old and have several lumps in my breast which I discovered last year Nov doing a self-exam. There was also a prominent one in my armpit. My doctor did an excision and removed the lump in my armpit and sent it in for histology which came back negative for cancer. I felt relieved but still concerned over the lumps in my breast so requested he refer me for further investigation and he sent me to have a mammogram. When I got to the radiologist''s office, they refused to give me a mammogram, claiming I was too young to be at genuine risk of breast cancer and insisted I have an ultrasound instead. The technician could feel the lump, but could not pick up an recognisable abnormality so called in the radiologist doctor to have a second look. He ran the transducer over the area of concern, could also feel a lump, but not pick it up on the screen and hesitantly told me that is was normal breast tissue. The technician (a woman) then asked him if he was sure a mammogram was not necessary to dismiss any missed poosibilities and he said, no, she is too young to be at genuine risk of breast cancer. Instead of leaving feeling relieved, I feel as though my concerns were not thoroughly investigated and perhaps not taken seriously enough. Am I being ridiculous? Why would my doctor request a mammogram if it were not necessary? Should I just let it go now and move on with my life?

Mammograms are generally not done at your age as the breast tissue is dense and it is therefore difficult to see any problems. In older women it is less dense and is therefore the procedure of choice.You should go back to the doctor who saw you initially to arrange if further follow-up is needed.

1