Question
Posted by: Charmaine Vermaak | 2011/04/26

breast cancer stage 2

i have been diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer. i am 42 years old .they did not tell me whether it is aggressive cancer or not. as my medical aid is very limited i only have R110 000 available for oncology. I am attending the Helen Joseph breast clinic with dr Carol Benn. my only concern is that i make use of the goverment facility as limited benefits on medical but my only concern is i can only start my chemo on the 9th of June 2011. no one can tell me how much my chemo will cost if i go private. i need to go for 6 sessions. everyone is telling me to go private as the cancer might spread. i can not afford to encounter medical accounts if my chemo is going to cost more. is there any indication of how much my chemo can cost and will it be a matter of live and death if i have to wait untill this given date. please advice as i can not sleep at night. i await your reply.thnak you. Charmaine Vermaak.

Hallo Charmaine
Firstly, I want to reassure you that Dr Carol Benn runs one of the best breast cancer clinics in the country. The best way to get more information about possible treatments is to ask her for a copy of the the histology (biopsy) report of your cancer and to ask exactly what your staging is (IIA or IIB?)and whether it is HER positive (hormone sensitive) or not. See http://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/diagnosis/staging.jsp
Do not be afraid to share your concerns with Dr Benn about waiting a month before starting chemotherapy. Remember your cancer probably took a few years to grow to the size it is now and although one wants to start as soon as possible, waiting a month to start chemotherapy will probably not make a big difference in the treatment results as it is usually a slow growing tumour.
You can also contact private oncologists for a second opinion (Dr Coccia-Portugal in Pretoria, Prof Paul Ruff, Dr Adam Nosworthy in Johannesburg is excellent with breast cancer) but you need all the information for an estimation of cost.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/04/26

Hallo Charmaine