Question
Posted by: Portia | 2011-01-05

Breast Cancer (Mom)

Dear Doc,

My mom''s been informed recently that she has breast cancer in stage 2. She recently had a mammogram done as well and had a lumpectomy afterward, and the tests showed cancer.

I wanted to know if I should have a mammogram done as well although I do not feel any lumps in my breasts, just to be sure as my mom has been diagnosed with this?

Usually mammograms are done from the age of 40 years. You should have your breasts checked regularly and, if there are other members of your family with breast cancer, you might consider genetic testing.

1
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2011-01-06