Question
Posted by: helen | 2008/08/18

breast cancer genes?

I would like to find out whether my daughters have the possibility of contracting breast cancer since there is none on the mothers side of the family but strong in the fathers side of the family.(his mother and sister both passed away from this dread disease.)

Hi Helen
One can test for the type of genes that are associated with an increased risk for breast cancer. see http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/Genetic-Testing-for-Breast-and-Ovarian-Cancer-Risk
You can ask your doctor to give you a referral to the dept of genetics at your nearest academic hospital. Just remember that having the gene does not mean that you will definitely get breast cancer, it may just be an indication that you should start screening earlier and more often than other women.