Question
Posted by: Concerned friend | 2009/11/30

Breasfeeding, smoking weed and drinking

My friend is breastfeeding her four-month old baby, I feel like I should speak to her about these issues but would like some medical advice to back me up. Her doc says she can drink as long as she stops two hours before feeding. But drinking things like jagerbombs, is that ok? What and how much is ok to drink?

She is still smoking (smoked throughout the pregnancy) and she recently admitted to smoking marijuana. How long does marijuana stay in your system and how would this affect her baby. I don' t know if this was a once-off thing or if it happens more often. My niece is a week younger than this baby and she seems so much more alert and well-developed.

My friend put on 11kgs when she was pregnant and she has now lost 17kgs since the baby was born. She is starting to look unhealthy skinny - she doesn' t seem to be actively trying to lose weight. Is this weight loss a cause for concern?

She insists on breastfeeding, please help me with facts so I can present them to her.

Hallo Concerned friend
I agree that there are reasons to be very concerned. Chronic alcohol use depletes the body of necessary vitamins and healthy calories that the baby would need to develop and may cause growth retardation. Sigarettes and Marijuana will also have effects on the development and overall health of the baby. The active ingredient in marijuana, THC, will be stored in mom's fat tissues for long periods (weeks to months) and will build up in the body with continued use. Small to moderate secretion into breastmilk has been documented, and THC is concentrated in human milk. Marijuana can cause sleepiness in the baby, which can lead to slow weight gain and possibly slow overall development in the baby long term. In addition, babies whose mothers smoke marijuana regularly have a higher risk of Sudden infant death syndrome and have slower brain development.

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2009/11/30

Hallo Concerned friend

Reply to cyberdoc