Question
Posted by: Tweenies | 2009/10/14

Breasfeeding and weightloss

I' m breastfeeding and intend continuing to do so at least for the next 6 months. I find that I' ve gained some extra weight following the birth of my twins. I' m 1.5m tall and weigh 86kgs. I need to lose the excess weight and find that every time I try, I either gain a kilo or 2 or I do not lose at all. I generally eat 3 meals a day - all bran flakes with yoghurt for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch, then a medium portion (size of a ladies'  fist) of pap and either chicken or red meat for supper.I find it difficult to eat 5 meals a day. I drink about 1.5 litres of water a day and still get extremely thirsty in the evening especially. What would you advise to kick start weight loss?

Dear Tweenies
Congratulations on the birth of your twins! You must be so proud of them. The fact that you are breastfeeding 2 babies at once is stunning and this will have a positive influence on their health for the rest of their lives (it will also prevent them from developing overweight). It would be good if you could lose some weight because your BMI = 38,2 which is very high. However, I would not like you to use any diet pills or potions or a starvation diet or excess exercise while you are breastfeeding. If at all possible, please consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area).
The dietitian needs to work out a diet for you that will a) help you gradually lose weight, b) not interfere with your breastfeeding, c) provide you and the twins with the nutrients you need for health and the twins need for health and growth. This is not something I can do for

2
Posted by: almost mad | 2009/10/14

Both my sisters lost weight because they were breastfeeding. but maybe not everyone is the same. I really think you need to make time to eat 5 times a day. its doesnt mean actual meals. You could have breakfast and then yougurt with an apple and then lunch and then some carrot sticks and dip or crackers and then supper. Also I notice you dont mention fruits and veggies. You should instead of pap at night eat steamed veggies with your meat.Maybe also try green tea first thing in the morning, but just check if it is okay while breastfeeding. Try oolong tea you can get at dischen for around R10.

Reply to almost mad

Dear Tweenies