Question
Posted by: Denise | 2012-08-28

Breaking toenails

Pkease advise what can be done to replace a toenail that breaks all the way down to the cutical and will not grow back. This has happened to both my large toenails and I now have no nail at all!

I am presuming that this has occured due to running over a long period of time, as well as ill-fitting (pointy-toed shoes).

Expert ImagePodiatrist

Thank you for your mail. Damaged to the nailbed through incorrect shoewear or trauma can cause the nail to lift off the nailbed, become thickened, discoloured and brittle. Damage to the nail can also make the nail more prone to get infected by a fungus. I would suggest that you consult with a podiatrist that would be able to assess the condition and advise treatment for both treating the damaged nailbed and possible fungal infection that could be present. For your nearest podiatrist contact www.podiatrist.co.za or 0861 100 249

2
Posted by: Mota | 2012-11-27

I have very high arches and am hglihy susceptible to both plantar fasciitis and shin splints. My orthopod is making me orthotics from foot molds  they will have a graphite base. Will wearing these in typical stability shoes (i.e. Saucony Progrid Trigon Guides) cause the arch area of the orthotic to raise up too high? Should I try neutral cushioned shoes instead?Thanks for your help,Barry

Reply to Mota
Posted by: Joan | 2012-11-10

Good day
I need help with my problem, please, Both of my big toenails have vertical splits in them. What is a possible cause, and can I fix this problem?

Regards,

Reply to Joan