Posted by: Trixie | 2009-08-26

breaking and entering at 8 years

My sister-in-laws 8 year old son got arrested for breaking into a house across the street to play games on their playstation. He was happily playing when the got home. Apparently he also klimbed through another nabours window and took games to his house to play. He knows it is wrong but feels no remorse. He was born with a misshaped head due to something pressing aginst it in the womb. He also has serious learning problems but apparently not enough to go to Jan Kriel school. Example: He rights his name perfectly, but in mirror (from right to left). He is doing his second year in grade 1 and will probably not pass this year either. His parents have had serious marital problems. (fighting verbally and physically, etc.) They also neglect their kids alot. He really needs to go to a dentist, but they would rather spend their money on other things. Most of his teeth are rotten.

Gee. Considering what the police do NOT arrest people for these days, arresting a kid of 6 is rather surprising.
However, this sounds like a sad kid, apparently neglected by his parents, and in need of dental and psychological care. He might have neurological problems ( with signs like the mirror-writing ) but needs a proper neurological assessment to decide this.
I wonder whether the arrest might be used as an opportunity ? Could someone have a word with the polic e, even the mahistrate's office, tipping them off that there may be neglect, and neurological as well as dental problems, and urge that they get child welfare involved, to assess the child and his home situation, and his medical needs, to help the court reach a fair and helpful decision. I think the court might even ordwer the child to have further assessments and treatment, and require the parents to see to this