Question
Posted by: Eve | 2011/07/18

breakfast ideas for 5/6 year old

Hi DietDoc
Please can you help me with some breakfast ideas for my son who is turning six.
I have tried the smoothies, pieces of cheese even cereals. He wants to vomit at just the thought of eating breakfast. He has been like this from a young age.He eats well on some days and then on other days he eats very little. I am not particularly worried as he is at a good weight, but i need for him to start eating breakfast for his concentration levels at school. I would appreciate any information that you may have.
Thank-you

Dear Eve
I would recommend that you have your son evaluated by a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to find out if he suffers from an underlying physical or psychological cause that make breakfast so abhorrent to him. It is possible that he is using this behaviour to draw attention to some other problem in his life or that he has an underlying physical problem like low blood sugar. Some people do find it difficult to face food immediately after waking up and need just a light snack (low-fat yoghurt or some fruit) and then are able to eat a more substantial meal later on in the morning (say at 10 am). This is of course difficult to arrange when a child has to go to school, but the dietitian should be able to assist you with meal plans so that he can take food that is nutrient dense to school to eat at first break if he can only manage a bit of fruit early in the morning. If the problem is psychological (fear of going to school, which literally makes him 'sick on his stomach at the thought of going to school') then it is essential to obtain help from a Pediatric psychologist.
I do hope that you will be able to determine what is causing your son's aversion to eating breakfast and solve the problem.

1

Dear Eve