Posted by: Ester | 2013-01-23

My 10-year old daughter has never really liked cereals or porridge and I was thus looking for other breakfast alternatives. Over the past 4 months I started making smoothies for breakfast for myself - and eventually extended it also to my daughter - with the following: 2-3 fruits (eg apple, peach, banana), about 100ml per person of jogurt (plain and fruit), about 100 ml per person pure fruit juice, 2 table spoons per person of mixed seeds (flax,sunflower,pumpkin). As for myself, I''m not sure that it helps with my weight control, but it definitely improved my energy levels and keeps me full till lunch time. My daughter also likes her smoothie every morning. Is this enough for her to start her school day? Sometimes she wants a slice of bread or an egg also - can I add this? She was underweight for two years due to a certain prescribed medicine, but has gained weight since we stopped the medication. She is about the right weight for her age and height now.

Dear Ester
Your smoothies sound delicious and very healthy. Your 10-year-old daughter can certainly have the smoothie and the wholewheat bread and an egg for a well balanced breakfast. As a young person who may be physically active, the slice of wholewheat bread will provide additional energy for activity and the egg adds additional high-quality protein, iron and B vitamins.