Question
Posted by: Lara | 2012/07/17

Breakfast

Dear Dietdoc,
Thanks for your detailed reply to my question about metabolism.
Is it possible to say what the " minimum breakfast"  is that a person needs to speed up sluggish metabolism? I have no appetite in the morning. I want to " start small"  and get my stomach used to breakfast. Would a sachet of instant oats be enough (50 gram dry)?

Dear Lara
You can certainly have a sachet of instant oats plus some low-fat milk or yoghurt to ease into eating breakfast. The addition of the milk/yoghurt helps to lower the glycaemic index (GI) of the meal and should keep you satisfied for longer. According to the SA Glycemic Index Guide, OatsoEasy (regular flavour) has a low GI. Up 'n Go (made by Bokomo) is a low-GI instant breakfast that may also make it easier for you to get used to breakfast. There is also no harm in eating toasted low-GI bread with a boiled egg, or a bit of grated cheese or peanut butter. In summer yoghurt with fruit is a pleasant start to any day.
Good luck with your decision to give breakfast a go.

1

Dear Lara