Question
Posted by: zikona | 2011-10-17

breakfast

Hi doc, can you tell me what this breakfast do to me, Im from the township:
I eat vetkoek
Smiley(sheep head)
Coke
is there too much fat than there is in your standard breakfast ie scrambled eggs bacon, toasted white bread and orange juice
I guess what I''m trying to say is can you table the unhealthy factors in my breakfast?

Dear Zikona
Generally speaking a balanced diet should not contain too much fat, saturated fat, cholesterol, highly processed starches, sugars or salt. Each meal should if possible contain unsifted, unprocessed starches, cereals or grains, some fruit, some milk, yogurt or maas and some additional protein if necessary (but not essential). Therefore both the township breakfast (vetkoek, sheep head and Coke)and the standard breakfast (scrambled eggs, bacon, white bread and orange juice) tend to contain too much fat, saturated fat and cholesterol (the egg, bacon, vetkoek and sheep head), highly processed grains (the white bread or the vetkoek) and in the case of the township breakfast the choice of Coke is high in liquid sugar that is inclined to cause weight gain. Better choices would be: unsifted maize meal porridge with maas, wholewheat bread with a boiled egg and an orange, or high-fibre breakfast cereal with yoghurt or milk, wholewheat toast with peanut butter and the orange juice. High intakes of fat, saturated fat and cholesterol can increase the 'bad' fats in the blood leading to heart diseases and also cause obesity. Highly processed starches and sugars cause weight gain which in turn can lead to all the various diseases of lifestyle. A high salt intake causes hypertension in people who are salt sensitive. So if possible, try to change over to a less fatty and highly processed breakfast. The healthy breakfasts outlined above should not cost more than the examples you have given.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-10-17

Dear Zikona