Posted by: Mary | 2009-08-31

Hi Diet Doc, we always hear that breakfast is the most important meal of the day but in the same breath that you shouldn' t eat when you' re not hungry. I always try to eat breakfast and have to force myself sometimes as I' m just not hungry in the morning. Should I rather just not have breakfast when I' m not hungry or just do it (for some reason?)

Thanks alot!

Dear Mary
Breakfast is indeed one of the most important meals of the day because it has many advantages. Two of the most important advantages are that it increases your blood sugar levels after the overnight fast which may last up to 12 hours or more, so that your brain can start working properly again, and secondly that eating a balanced meal in the morning will prevent you from overeating at the other meals of the day. You may have noticed that I said "in the morning", this does not mean that you have to eat a large breakfast immediately on getting up, but at some time during the morning. It may be a good idea to have a small bowel of high-bran cereal with low-fat milk and coffee or tea before you go to work, and to take along wholewheat or rye sandwiches with a boiled egg or cheese or peanut butter, etc, with fruit to have a second small meal during the morning when you get really hungry.