Posted by: Just wondering | 2009-09-28

Break through bleeding

Hi Doctor,
I am taking the lowest dose oral contraceptive there is and it works fine, except that every few months i' ll have a break through bleed. it always starts about a week before i' m due to start my period (so suually when i have about 5 active pills left). It always starts with slight cramps and then bleeding such that I need a tampon. I have three questions: 1) does this sound like a normal break through beeld experienced sometimes by women on the pill, 2) since this isn' t every month, do i really need to go on a higher dose (I' m reluctant) and 3) Can i expect to have my period as usual in addition to this break through bleed or is the break through my period which will end before my real period is meant to.

Thanks so much.

This is a normal occurence and if it is really uncomfortable, you will have to use a contraceptive with a higher estrogen level.