Question
Posted by: Anonymissy | 2009-06-29

Break out

I use a cleanser and moisturizer on my face.I have a combintanation skin.My problem is later in the day if I use a powder to matte down my t-zone, it makes my skin too dry? My other issue is, I like to use a foundation now and again, but find when I use it more than 2-3days in a row, I tend to get a small breakout of fine red pimples or the skin gets funny and dry.Iv tried rimmel and even clinique that suppose to be allergy tested.Please can u recommend what I use as I do need to use foundation sometimes.(when i try new products my face does breakout and goes from bad before it adjusts to the new product)

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Anonymissy, thank you for the question.

Your best option would be to consult a dermatologist or an aesthetic medical practitioner who can examine the skin and advise you on the best treatment options.

From your description it seems that you would need to control the oily skin first and the following should be remembered:
Do not rub the skin aggressively when washing the face
Do not use exfoliators or scrubs
Wash the face twice daily with a gentle foam wash
Avoid all topical products that contain oil including makeup
Avoid the sun as much as possible and use an oil free SPF

The fine red pimples may be an allergic type reaction but my feeling is that it is directly related to the blocking of pores. As can be seen this is a difficult question to answer over the net and ideally one would need to examine the skin to give you the best advice.