Question
Posted by: CC | 2010-05-21

Break in

Dear Doc,

I have 2 spaniels and 1 labrador who are outside during the day whilst we are at work. They are all (especially the spaniels) very territorial and bark like crazy if someone comes onto our property. Last week our house was broken into and the neighbor tells me that our dogs did not bark at all. Besides the obvious thinking that the robbers are someone that are known to the dogs, why would they not bark? Could they have been given some kind of food laced with something to clam them? The dogs were perfectly fine when we got home.

Hi CC

There is every possibility that the dogs food may have been laced with a tranquilizer. However, I suspect that robbers may have known/befriended you dogs over a period of time before the robbery.

3
Posted by: CC | 2010-05-25

Thanks for the response. I do tend to agree that the robbers are known to us/the dogs which is pretty frightening to me. Our dogs do sleep inside at night for both our protection and theirs. Someone also suggested that spray ''n cook is sprayed in the dogs faces which almost chokes them and they cannot bark.

Reply to CC
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010-05-22

Hi CC

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Chill | 2010-05-21

If burglars were to give food to dogs in order to ''calm'' them, I''m afraid it''s far more likely to be a lethal poison than a mere tranquilliser.

There are two possibilities: one, that the dogs knew the robbers, and two, that they were intimidated into silence. I have a very alert, territorial dog - barks like crazy, with all hackles up - until someone calls her bluff, when she pipes down and runs away. Luckily, the barking part puts people off, so they don''t find out about the running-away part....

So, if someone came in and dominated the dogs, this could have caused them to not bark.

Reply to Chill