Question
Posted by: Mary | 2009/12/01

Break from pill

Hi Doctor,

Thanks for your response to my query.

I am taking an oral contraceptive (Melodene). I took it for a year and a half, and then had a three or four month break. I have since been taking it for another year. I' ve read about studies indicating increased risk of breast cancer with prolonged use of the pill and wondered if you had any recommendations regarding taking breaks from it.

Should I be taking time off the pill every year or so? if so, for how long would you recommend? I' m not worried about contraception too much as my hubby and I are very careful despite me being on the pill. My periods have gotten really really light again and I don' t feel comfortable being so far from the norm for my body.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Thanks,
Mary

Hallo Mary
I would rather suggest you use something like the Mirena IUD than the contraceptive pill if you are at risk of breast cancer.

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2009/12/01

Hallo Mary

Reply to cyberdoc