Question
Posted by: scorpio | 2009/11/05

break down

I feel I am going to have a nervous break down. I am so stressed and it feels like there is a tight clamp around my head pushing down.... Im on antidepressants, but feel they are not working. I cant breathe, my throat feels like it is going to close, I dont know what to do!! I feel I am going to do something crazy, please help!!

OK,s, relax as much as you can. This can be worked out. It sounds as though you may have had a significant Anxiety Disorder as well as the Depression being treated ( which is why I always recommend a shrink's careful assessment and diagnosis before treatment starts. Some of the antidepressants, especially in some people, tend to make people already anxiety-prone, feel mkore anxious, and changing the treatment to a different antidepressant ( you don't mention what treatment you are receiving, or how long you have been taking them ) and perhaps adding CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) which can help you regain control of the depression and the anxiety symptoms, could make a major difference, and rfelatively soon.
Urgently call the prescribing doctor and report the situation much as you have outlined it here, and ask for a reconsideration of which treatment might suit this situation better. And if you are being treated by a GP, ask whether it might be wise for him/her to arrange for you to see a good local psychiatrist urgently, to bring the urgent relief you deserve

1