Question
Posted by: Leanne | 2011-10-11

Bread vs Rice cakes

Hi Doc, my hubby wants to loose weight, he is 1.8m tall and weighs about 97kg''s, but he has big bones, it is mostly his tummy that has a lot of fat. He has really started to watch what and how much he eats and is exercising daily. What excercises are best to loose a fat tummy, and are rice cakes (sugar, lactose, gluten, salt and cholesterol free) a healthier option over bread?

Dear Leanne
Your hubby's present BMI = 29,9 which is in the overweight range. To get back to the normal range with a BMI of 25, he would need to weigh 81 kg, thus a loss of 16 kg. It is good that he is doing exercise. In general exercises that target the tummy like sit-ups need to be combined with aerobic exercises like running, jogging, brisk walking, skipping, swimming, cycling or rowing to promote weightloss all round and stimulate the metabolism. 1 rice cake provides approx. 189 kJ and consists mainly of carbohydrates and some plant protein, while 1 slice of brown bread provides about 280 kJ, but it does contain dietary fibre (for regularity) and more B vitamins and minerals than the rice cake. So I would suggest that your hubby uses both types of starch for variety and to ensure that he ingests a balanced diet.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-10-11

Dear Leanne