Question
Posted by: Heartburn sufferrer | 2008/06/04

Bread = heartburn?

Dear Doc

I suffer from severe heartburn with only bread, any bread. I also know that caffeine, fatty / spicy food may also cause heartburn because of the effect it has on the esophageal sphinter.

1. What is the reason for bread giving heartburn?(is it maybe yeast / the dough)
2. Is there certain bread that is less likely to give heartburn?
Thank you...

Dear Heartburn Sufferer
The excess production of stomach acid that then pushes up in the oesophagus (a condition generally called heartburn or acid reflux) can be triggered by a variety of dietary factors as you well know. This is often a very specific reaction and will vary from patient to patient. Some individuals react only to white bread, others to brown or wholewheat bread. Because the reaction is individual it is usually recommended that the patient should keep a food diary noting down what foods cause discomfort and then to cut them out. It is difficult to say which ingredient in bread triggers your reaction - it could be the wheat or the yeast or soya flour that is added to most commercial breads or one of the preservatives such as calcium propionate. I wonder if you also react to home baked breads which do not contain the soya or the preservatives? and/or 100% rye bread or wheat bread baked with baking powder (usually called soda bread)? You could try these variations to see if one of them agrees with you.