Braxton Hicks

I am now 26 weeks pregnant and have been experiencing Braxton Hicks since the last month.Some days it will occur 4 to 5 times a day where I can feel my stomach tighten and relax (not painfull just uncomfortable). Is this normal or is it a sign of early labour. Please advise.

It is a bit early, so ask your doctor to check that your cervix is not dilating.

Practice contractions or Braxton Hicks contractions
Braxton Hicks contractions are intermittent, painless contractions that occur in the second half of pregnancy. Sometimes these contractions are also called pre-labour contractions. Not everyone will notice or experience these contractions, and some will have them more frequently. Don' t panic if you don' t notice them. Some women only notice them because they find them to be uncomfortable. The duration may vary and could be as long as 60 seconds. They will, however, remain irregular without an increase in duration and frequency.

If you experience discomfort with these practice contractions, try out the relaxation techniques you' ve learnt in your antenatal class, used to deal with labour. Often women will find that simply changing position can help with any discomfort caused by these contractions. A nice warm bath or shower can also help relieve any ache and promote relaxation.