Question
Posted by: TSEBO | 2009/10/26

Brain Operation

My brother got involved in a car accident last year in September, he was operated on shortly, I am not sure exactly what the procedure was.He started limping a few months after the op and frequent headaches.He was operated again this past September, they removed some blood from his brain. The limping and headaches started again,he was operated on again last week, they removed some fluid which his surgen says was thickening, he says it covers the brain and it is supposed to be thin. He was supposed to be discharged but his dr wants to operate again, he says he needs to remove the whole skull but all we need intervention from another specialist.His wife just called me, they just refused to discharge him saying he has an infection now.

Could you kindly advise?

Hallo Tsebo
Often after an accident a patient develop a subdural hematoma, which is a slow bleed between the brain and the skull. This can build up over a few days to weeks, causing pressure on the brain and causing headaches and neurological symptoms like limping. This usually needs to be drained with an operation - what they do is bore holes in the skull to relieve the pressure by removing the dead blood/serum. This often needs to be followed up by a slightly bigger operation ( craniotomy) where they open up a bigger hole to take out old blood clots that solidified and to ensure that the vein that bled is closed off properly. The risk is that they can develop meningitis due to the dead blood in the space between the brain and the skull. Your brother should rather stay with the neurosurgeon until they are sure that the bleeding has stopped and the infection is cleared up. Let me know how he is doing from time to time?

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2009/10/26

Hallo Tsebo

Reply to cyberdoc