Question
Posted by: Sarah | 2010/03/11

Brain injury

Dear Doc
Not sure if you work with patients who have suffered brain injury from Encephalitis?
A friend of mine (38) was diagnosed with encephalitis 2 months ago. She was in a coma for 10 days. She is now struggling with severe memory loss and a feeling of having her mind "  blank"  on most days. Is it possible to regain memory function after encephalitis? Generally speaking, does the memory function deteriorate further or will it stay the same as it is now or get better? I know its impossible for you to give a definate answer, but a general answer would be greatly appreciated. I dont know the type of encephalitis she had, but the MRI scan said Cerebellum atrophy, celebral atrophy, maximallian bodies atrophic.
Thanks so much!

MY late aunt had exactly that problem, though many years back. Only your friend's neurologist / physician could perhaps answer your sensible question. So much depends on individual details, whether there has been significant brain damage, and if so how much and where. I wouldn't expect the memory problems to get worse at this stage. However, if a MRI scane showed significant atrophy ( which would represent damage ) which was cerebral ( meaning the main part of the brain ), cerebellar ( including the area controlling movements, coordination, etc ) this suggests it was a severe illness, and the mamillary bodies are specific brain areas involving memory, so if they were substantially damaged, there could be severe memory damage.

1