Posted by: Elize | 2011-12-13

Brain Damages

If someone got very bad brain damage and suddenly start to talk, can the brain " shut"  off just as quickly as it " awoke" ? My son had a bad car accident and his brain functionality was 3/15, Jhb specialists did not want to even treat him as they said he would be a vegetable if under 7/15. What can I expect in future?

Brain recovery is very unpredictable and unfortunately, I am unable to tell you what you can expect. I really hope that he recovers well but as mentioned, it is impossible to tell to what extend he will recover.

Posted by: Elize | 2011-12-20

Thank you Dr Anrich, since my question my son just suddenly started to talk, not 100% normal but where he only made noises one can understand what he is actually saying. He has also now started to get out of his wheel chair and can walk about 5 steps with the help of a walking ring. His recovery is absolutely amazing, he was taken to another doctor which did some tests and said that he has a above average IQ, and he suspects that he should recover so well that he might even be able to go back to working in 2013. So..... in closure, to any one who has or is going through the same situation, NEVER NEVER GIVE UP HOPE.

Reply to Elize