Question
Posted by: Mariana | 2009-08-02

Brain damaged

My sister-in-law was run over by a car when she was 17 and she suffered brain damage. She is now in her thirties. Her family has tried, in vain, to get her in a home where she can be taken care of. She drinks with the street people (bergies) and they use and abuse her. They take of her clothes and leave her naked. She has been stabbed many times. My mother -in-law is in her eighties and can not take care of her. She comes home drunk and swears at her family. She is agressive and has attacked her mother but because she is brain damaged, the court can not charge her for assault. She was in Stikland Hospital but signed herself out. She needs to be in a place where she can not get out but there is just nowhere to go. We are afraid she will harm my mother in law very badly. They have sufferd her abuse for many years. Her sister used to help take care of her but she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and had a big operation recently. Can you perhaps let me know where we can get help? The welfare is no use as they can not help.

Hallo Mariana
If you think that she is a danger to herself and or her family you can discuss with a psychiatrist at Grootte Schuur to see if you can get them to certify her to be placed in a place of safety.