Question
Posted by: Rina | 2009/02/26

Brain damaged

My Dauhters father had a hunting accident when she was 2 years old, she is now 13, he looked after us well in that time, had a good job etc. After the accident (he fell of the bakkie on his head) he doesn' t work and is always busy with schemes trying to make money, I am the provider and find it very difficult in these times, I pay the bond, schoolfees food etc, now I have decided I have had enough, I want him to get out of my house I want to find someone to help me raise my child and help inprovideing, do you think I am cruel I think I have done my share of feeling sorry and provide, all he does is drive around working on schemes that never materialises and swaer and scream at us the whole day, so I am sick and tired of my life.

This i an unpleasant moral dilemma, Rina. Presumably he is not at all a bad man, meely someone who, due to his brain injury, is unrealistic in his ideas about what to do with himself, and not earning so as to be able to provide. HAs he been properly assessed by a psychologist / neurologist, or whoever, to see whether he should receive disability payments, for instance, and to assess whether his condition can be relieved at all, so enable him to earn a proper living ? If part of his unpleasant behaviour is due to genuine effects of th head injury, there might be ways to relieve this

1
Posted by: Rina | 2009/02/26

Thanks Doc I am not sure if he will go back to the Dr for an assesment, he believes their is nothing wrong and we are crazy, I am quiet scared when he has his bad temper moments, he doesn t really know what he does or says, I know it is cruel, but I need to be happy as well, and I cannot support him anymore, I am in debt already.

Reply to Rina