Question
Posted by: Barbara | 2010/09/22

Brain Atrophy

My husband suffered a major stroke at the age of 49, which, left him partially paralysed in the right arm. 3 years down the line the first brain scan was done and there is acute brain atrophy of the left brain. My understanding is that there is no cure and no way of halting the process. What are the long term repurcussions and what can I expect, the doctor was not at all forthcoming. He has high BP and diabetes, both of which are well controlled at this time. The brain scan was done because I was worried about the bouts of diziness that he was experiencing.

Hallo Barbara
The atrophy can be due to the previous stroke he had. (caused by the damage the stroke caused in that part of the brain) It may cause epilepsy, weakness on the R side of the body, difficulty with speaking. Dizziness could be due to transient vestibulitis of the middle ear and something like Stugeron may help - if he feels as if the world is turning around him and he feels off-balance.
dr Bets

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/09/22

Hallo Barbara
dr Bets