Question
Posted by: anon | 2008/08/13

BPD flaring

was diagnosed with BPD at the age of 14, spent over a year in tara and sterkfontein at the age of 16, after much struggle managed to get myself under control, went on to get married, have two gorgoeus kids, the youngest being a couple of months old. it hasn' t been easy but i have managed, however i am spinning out of control again, self destructive behaviour, constantly angry tearful, my gp put me on a mild tranq for stress, for various reasons i have been too scared to go back to a shrink as i feel admitting the problem will make it real, what do i do, i don' t want to destroy my childrens lives, starting to think they would be better without me..

Congratulations, first of all, for managing " to get yourself under control' especially at such a tender age. Seeing a shrink again sounds like a good idea, though, to regain control before this becomes harder to achieve. Your children would NEVER be better off without you, but, having achieved this before, you can improve the quality of the you that they are with. A shrink could also consider more apt meds, as most mild tranquillizers can have effects similar to alcohol, and thus don'tm enhance one's skills at self-control.