Question
Posted by: Patrick | 2011-10-25

BP vs Cholesterol

My recent cholesterol test result came in at 3.9 (good cholesterol levels are supposed to be between 2.8 and 4.9). However, my blood pressure results came in at 180/110, which I believe are very high. I have improved with more recent measurements to about 153/94. I am 45 and relatively fit but weighing 97kgs. My BMI reading is 28. I run +-4kms in the morning and have sessions with a personal trainer at the gym. I am worried though with my BP. Is dropping it to acceptable levels possible at my age? Are there any supplements one could take to stabilise the BP to these levels?

Hi Patrick

Your BP was high, yes, but that's something that can be managed. A few things. First, remember that when you have this measurement, any anxiety would increase the measurement slightly (it's called white coat syndrome - true medical phenomenon), and so especially in that second test, you probably produced a slightly higher BP than would normally be the case.

But, it's still high, and exercise does help. Cardio especially, so keep up the walks and training. Careful about weight training, because that causes a lift in BP while you train, so stay on the lighter side in terms of the weight you use.

Cut down on salt intake, and consider medication (though at this stage, that may be a little excessive). I don't know of supplements that reduce BP with any proof that they work. But there are medicines, and you may wish to see a doc in a month and have the BP checked again and then see what they have to say.

But for now, keep going on the exercise, make the healthy choices and just be alert and informed!

Ross

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011-10-30

Hi Patrick

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc