Question
Posted by: Kay in Gtown | 2008-12-16

BP question

Dear CS,
Is bipolar 1 progressive? I' ve only recently been dx' ed at 47, when,, in retrospect I can trace it back to my university days. I just flew under the BP radar all these years, because I never sought treatment when I felt great. I think it has already got worse than it used to be, I had longer cycles then, but does it get worse still, once on treatment? I mean ' worse'  in the sense of even more mixed states and more rapid cycling, and less stable moods (which is where I already am now). I' ve had a lot more problems with depressions and felt so much better when I was manic  granted, it was expensive being manic, but I feel like I had my happiness medicated away. And now all I get is mixed and switching, even within days.

But I really, really don' t want this to get worse. Will treatment stop the worsening, or will it just slow it down? I' m needing a little hope here...

Bipolar Disorder in general is not progressive in the usual sense of the word ( like a cancer is usually progressive ) --- in some people it may spontaneously improve, in many it stays much the same for years, in others it may indeed get either worse ( in the sense of more frequent or severe episodes, or the same episodes ) or by responding differently to treatment. And as you say, the nature of the cycling may vary.
There's some evidence that there may be less progression or worsening or complication if such conditions ( even comparatively simply Depression ) are recognized early and begin treatment early, rather than late.
In your own example, it won't necessarily get worse --- or mat get worse or more complex for a while, and then less so again. Treatment can indeed slow or avoid worsening. Don't asume that it will get worse. And apart from Bipolar specific evidence, many psych disorders can "burn out" later in life, in the sense of becoming less severe and complex

3
Posted by: bernie | 2008-12-16

i can honestly say i have the same symptoms as you and i am on meds very similar to yours maybe you right

Reply to bernie
Posted by: Kay in Gtown | 2008-12-16

But I am on meds: Lamictin, Epilim, Geodon, Wellbutrin, Eltroxin.

Reply to Kay in Gtown
Posted by: Zexeon | 2008-12-16

Meds in the right quantity prescribed for the right diagnosed disease is helpful.

Reply to Zexeon