Question
Posted by: Ja-Nee | 2011-09-08

BP &  Pulse really low... ok?

What sort of pulse rate and BP do you have?
My pulse has become crazy low - I think.

Today at 3pm my resting (middle of a boring meeting) pulse was 40bpm! Last night at the gym after a 13km run and some sit-ups and stretching it was 55bpm. Now after dinner it is 46bpm.

My blood pressure last night was 100/58, a few weeks ago it was 90/58.

I know lower is better than high, on both counts, but I am thinking this is fairly excessively low - even for me - and could be a big part of why I am:
- Suffering from Reynaud''s Syndrome a lot this winter
- Have been cold all the time and have been
- Putting on weight

Does it sound like a need a check-up?
Noting that I had a life insurance basic health screening with a nurse recently - weight/height/ cholesterol/BP etc. and she remarked on how low my BP was but didn''t seem concerned about it... I am a 37 year old female, 1.66m, 57kg and fairly fit and active.

I do suggest that you consult your doctor for a referral to a cardiologist, as your blood pressure is acceptable but your pulse rate is really low. We do see these incredible readings in super fit athletes but I rather suggest that you have yourself checked out, as it is possible that you may have a heart block, where the electric impulses of the heart is slowed down, thus causing your heart beat to be extremely low. It is not life threatening but you may experience a black out, due to low blood pressure and a low pulse rate.

2
Posted by: Ja-Nee | 2011-09-13

Thanks for the reply Dr Anrich.

I wore a HR monitor all day yesterday (loaned from a friend) and over an 8+ hour period the average was 50BPM, but sometimes during the day it went as low as 36BPM!! I was feeling pretty tired and dizzy at the time too. I have made an appointment with a GP for Thursday for some tests, and I believe Thyroid functioning is one thing I should get checked, along with BP, pulse, Iron and blood glucose...

Reply to Ja-Nee
Posted by: Ja-Nee | 2011-09-13

Thanks for the reply Dr Anrich.

Reply to Ja-Nee