Posted by: Madie | 2008-10-30

Boys behavior

My boy is 5 yr old. He does like playing rough, but is not the aggressive, screaming type. He likes nice things in life and enjoy painting, playing computer, ect. What I' m wondering about: He loves girls shoes when we go to the shop, he would even insist on trying them on, he loves the glitter and colours......When they had to stick pictures in their ' cupboard'  that they draw, he pasted parfume and handbags ect. Am I only being stereotype here or is this normal behavior for a 5 yr old? When do they develope their gender identity?

Its within the range of normal --- he may have a masculine gender identity, but likes bright colours and glitz and nice smells --- which some very virile men appear to like, as well. Have you discussed this gently with him ? Is he interested in boys shoes and rucksacks if they are in similarly pleasant colours and glitz ?