Posted by: Not sure | 2009-09-04

Boyfriends moodswings

When is a person diagnosed with Bipolar? I' m not all aware what bipolar entails but my boyfriend goes through these phases where he is as happy as anything and then he will go through a slump of depression which usually last about a week then he will be fine again. Last night he said he should kill himself so he won' t hurt anyone anymore. I asked him who are you hurting and he said his parents and ex' s. I replied well that won' t solve anything and by the looks of things I think all his ex' s have their own lives to lead as well as his parents and family. He lives away from them. He has a good job. He even told me he lives like a king. I just don' t understand where this all comes from and perhaps he should go talk to someone. These issues boil down to times when he had arguments with his parents because they disliked every single girl he brought home and it caused a lot of hurt of his ex' s apparently. He always feels like he needs is parents approval for anything he does.

Me on the other hand concerning his mother. She only skinnered on the phone about me to other family members and my boyfriend heard this which upset him. I have only met his mother twice and what she said is that am probably a " nothing" , that I have no qualifications. And that' s the truth. I did not get the chance to study after school but I am in a job and hope to build up on what I can experiene and learn where I am.

I want to help him cos it upsets me that he lingers on the past all the time. We' re so great together and I do not understand why he needs to be so concerned about his ex' s. As far as they' re concerned they are over all the drama that happened to them.

The diagnosis is too often used frivolously. It can only usefully be used when someone has been properly assessed by a shrink, who can then discuss treatment options, too.
Obviously, I don't know whether your bf has Bipolar Disorder, but he does sound unhappy, and should be encouraged to seek a proper assessment and advice based on the results of that. A psychotherapist shrink could help him free himself from his bad habit of feeling the need to get his parents approval. Do encourage him to sek the expert help he deserves, rather than giving so much power to other unworthy people whose selfishness seems to hurt him,