Question
Posted by: Anon 24 | 2011/02/25

Boyfriend using substances

My boyfriend and I have been dating for nearly 3 yrs and we are in our mid twenties.

Since September he has made new friends that is involved with substances and also got involved himself with it. Before new years he said it would stop and he did for a 2 weeks, then he used again for a 10 days and stopped for a month. He has started again to use and said its only for this weekend. Everytime he starts it seem the group of friends that use are involved.

It seems to me he really wants to stop before it starts affecting his whole life eventhough its already affecting our relationship with false promises, ommisions etc.

Before September since we started dating he used maybe 4 times.

My question to you is how do I get him to realise he needs outside help and to help him get clean? How do I try to discourage him hanging out with those friends and stop him from relapsing?

Expert ImageAddictions expert

Thank you so much for your post.
Narcotics Anonymous have a pamphlet "Am I an addict?" http://www.na.org/?ID=ips-an-an-IP7 or visit our website www.harmonygroup.co.za follow either link and ask your boyfriend to read it. We then suggest your boyfriend comes in to Harmony Addictions Clinic for a free assessment with our Clinical Director.
I also strongly suggest that you attend Nar-Anon 12 Step meetings for families and friends of addicts. You will find tons of support there from people who have suffered a similar situation to you. Your meetings will help you to regain your own serenity and happiness.
Please contact us on 021 790 7779.
Wishing you love and light.
The Harmony Team

1
Posted by: Addictions expert | 2011/02/28

Thank you so much for your post.
Please contact us on 021 790 7779.
Wishing you love and light.
The Harmony Team

Reply to Addictions expert